Re: [Dhis2-users] WHO DQA tool and Zeros not storing in DHIS2

Hi Elmarie,
Yes, I think that makes sense, but the bigger issue is that data entry
staff may be spending many cumulative man hours entering a whole bunch of
zeros into a form to make it appear that it is complete. This time could
perhaps be better spent on ensuring that the quality of the data (which is
not zero) is of good quality.

I think absolutely that the WHO app needs to take completeness into account
in situations where the data element is not zero significant. It should
also take into account the other situation, when zeros really are
important, which should be very few cases I think But this app should not
drive DHIS2 implementations to enter zeros which really could be better
inferred with the use of the "Complete" button. I think your solution of
removing the zeros for historical periods makes a lot of sense as well.

We have also seen situations where when zeros are used to assess
"completeness", that some data entry staff will zero out the entire form
early in the data entry cycle, to  make it appear that data has been
entered, only to later go back and fill in the data once it becomes
available. In these cases, looking at the audit log (and even auditing the
completeness action itself) may provide better insight into what is going
on.

As you can tell, I am not a big fan of zeros in the database. For the most
part in DHIS2, zeros are imputed when needed to meaningfully aggregate the
data. Otherwise, it would be really impossible to do any analysis in DHIS2!

Best regards,
Jason

--
Jason P. Pickering