dhis2-documenters team mailing list archive

Re: [Dhis2-devs] Documentation source moving

Hi Knut,
Thanks for your efforts on this. I am reluctant to move the source
just yet. I think we need to think through the translation workflow a
bit better, and not introduce too many changes at once. We have seen a
few more commits from others, which is a good thing, but of course,
getting involved in the documentation effort is still pretty
complicated with bzr, DocBook, etc. Introducing more tools like PO and
moving the source and images out of launchpad may just complicate
things. Lets try and keep it as simple as possible, without too many
complications.

Firstly, I have removed all the revisions up until 214, which I think
is where all the commit related to multilingual documents started.

Going forward I would suggest that we fork each language branch, into
a seperate tree, in order to cut down on the size of the individual
branches. My suggestion is that each language be placed in a seperate
tree, that is branched from the main English documentation. This seems
to make sense to me, as most people will not need every language, but
would be more interested on working on a particular language. So, for
instance to fork the current branch you would do this..

1) Fork the branch. bzr branch
lp:~dhis2-documenters/dhis2/dhis2-docbook-docs dhis2-docbooks-docs-fr
2) Make all the necessary changes that are required. Transform the XML
to PO files, machine translate it, revise the PO files, transform back
to XML, and modify the pom.xml file to suit your needs.
3) Push the changes back to launchpad in a new branch "bzr push
lp:~dhis2-documenters/dhis2/dhis2-docbook-docs-fr/"

I have followed this workflow, and create this new branch.

I think this should be a more sustainable workflow and hopefully (with
more careful) management of the images, keep the size of the branches
down to a reasonable size. I think it will also help to encourage
ownership of each language. People would be free to translate back and
forth from each branch, but I assume for the time being, most stuff
would be translated from English into other languages.

Also, using the command bzr checkout --lightweight
lp:~dhis2-documenters/dhis2/dhis2-docbook-docs   will only pull the
latest revision, but not all the history, which would not be entirely
necessary when creating a fork for a given language from the latest
English version.  This should cut down a lot on the amount of data
that needs to be transferred.

If this sounds acceptable to everyone, I can write this up in the
Documentation guide.

Best regards,
Jason