Re: [Dhis2-devs] Feedback from Ghana

Hi Roger, thanks for your feedback.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <
rdf4@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks --
>     I wanted to feed back some experiences from the Ghana
> implementation work which has gone on for the last 3 weeks here and also
> during Denis Adeletey's visit to Oslo.
>     *  If you click Save on just about any form when your session has
> timed out, it appears as if the Save has succeeded and the timeout
> relogin does not occur until the next menu item is selected.  The user
> will already be annoyed at losing work, but to discover it some time
> later than when the added element turns up missing will be doubly
> frustrating.

I tested this again now and cannot reproduce, here it is logging out right
away.

>     *  The form editor still has an inconsistent, inconvenient
> interface with unpredictable behaviors.  I know we are using it less
> often due to Word/Excel import, but it is virtually impossible to make
> even a minor change to an imported form using the form editor.

Could this be due to the non-standard and verbose html produced by Word and
Excel? If so its not really much we can do. We have had reasonably good
feedback on the editor when its used to create forms "from scratch".

>     *  The floating window  (data entry and form editor) is still
> awkward and too frequently in the way.  Can we go to a taskpane
> approach?

Yes agree its getting a bit in the way and its not really useful since users
mostly have the paper forms in front of them and don't need to know the
period/orgunit at all times. But this is required by Indian users.. I have
now put in a close button which means that the users can discard it.

>     *  There ought to be "Can change password?" and "Password forced
> change frequency" attributes to the user table and associated
> functionality.  The user should not need edit authority on the user
> object to change their own password, but the ability to do so should be
> controllable in the case of intentionally shared passwords.

I am not sure if I agree.. The approach we are pushing is having one user
account per user. We are soon introducing new functionalities such as
messaging, feedback, alerts etc where it is useful to be able to identify
and address users individually. I could be good if you can share your
reasons for having shared accounts.

Forcing password changes should be considered but will entail a lot of
trouble in offline settings. Could maybe be combined with a automatic
password restore function for online deployments.

>     *  There ought to be some group-based assignments of datasets to
> org units and roles.  This is currently a tedious and error prone
> process.

Yes, we are introducing a new dataset editor in the upcoming 2.2 release
where you can manage associations for all datasets and orgunits with sharing
the same "parent". Please have a look and see if it suits your needs. (Data
set - Data set assignment editor).

>     *  There ought to be better group editing capabilities.  It ought
> to be possible to start with an existing groupset, clone it, then merge
> groups, edit group names, and transfer assigned objects (indicators,
> data elements, org units) from one group value to another.

OK can you please elaborate why you want to clone group sets? Have you had a
look at the Data element group editor / Indicator group editor functions in
Data dictionary module?

>     *  The category combo options mechanism has got to be more amenable
> to change.  Right now, you have to deassign the category combo from all
> data elements (and indicators and validation rules) that use it, delete
> the combo, delete and recreate the category, recreate the combo,
> reassign the data element.  In the meantime, the data has become
> dissociated from its categories.  I know that there are a lot of
> difficulties with changing options, especially in the distributed
> context, but at least it ought to be possible to add a new category
> option to a category involved in a category combo without destroying
> anything.

Yes agreed. We will put this on the road map for version 2.3.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/update-category

>     *  There need to be some extra text, numeric and object fields in
> the org unit table to which the implementer can assign field names and
> required status, and which show up on the org unit maintenance form.
> One org code is never enough to match up with other systems, there is
> always a town or postal code or some other address/contact piece to be
> added.  You sinned against the users by simply discarding fields from
> the org unit table when you changed its structure.

OK. Exactly what fields would you like to be added? Of related fields we
currently have code, coordinates, URL, contact person, address, email, phone
number.

>     *  There needs to be access to the organization table for
> calculating indicators, for example, # of facilities of type x per 1000
> population.  I know this doesn't deal adequately with the time
> dimension, but the whole system doesn't deal adequately with data
> elements that change slowly or infrequently.  Perhaps the way to deal
> with this is to automatically create a data element with daily frequency
> that tracks the current value of an org unit attribute and changes in a
> stepwise way.

Yes agreed. We have been discussing this for a while and I think we will
improve the indicator engine to handle this. Ie. you will be able to add
[number of orgunits below this orgunit] directly in the indicator formula.
We are also planning to add [number of days in aggregation period] in the
same way to deal with things such as bed occupancy rates.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/extended-indicator-engine

Have you had a look at the Organisation unit distribution report (reporting
- organisation unit report) ? This will give you aggregated reports with
counts of orgunits/facilities filtered on groupsets/groups and "parent"
organisation unit in the hierarchy.

>     *  The user interface should be amenable to more customization,
> even on a per user basis.  The DHIS2 logo and flag ought to be locations
> fillable from a set of povided and uploaded images.

OK. Are you aware that the user can pick from a set of 5 predefined "skins"
/ styles (settings - user settings) ? The flag can also be selected from a
list of countries in system settings. If you have some sort of "official"
flags you can send them to us and we will include them.

>  There ought to be a
> place for a "daily" message.

We are introducing messaging functionality in the 2.2 release where
privileged users can send messages to any other user. This messages will
visible and accessible in the dashboard.

>     *  There needs to be more granularity of administrative privileges
> and they ought to be assignable on an org unit basis.  Right now, we
> have to do too much administration at the national and regional level
> because the authorities are too powerful and unscoped.

This was our experience in Kenya also recently. We have now made it possible
for ie. district users to manage assignments of datasets for their own
facilities (in edit organisation unit) and to add new facilities below their
district. The current privileges management is quite fine-grained (some say
too fine-grained) and almost all actions in the system are assignable to
user roles. Can you please provide examples of what privileges would you
like to be assignable?

>     *  I have a lot of reservations about the impending demise of
> calculated variables.  I understand the impulse to separate inputs from
> outputs.  But without calculated variables, the utility of the dataset
> report will be lost; the user will need to understand two different
> technologies to create the same output.  Also, sometimes the data
> collected on the form is more granular than that which is to be put into
> the data cube, but not yet so numerous or repetitive as to require a
> line listing.  In the case of Ghana, we have a form where the current
> use and inventory of each vaccine is recorded by lot number and
> doses/vial.  For each vaccine, we have a maximum of 4 lot
> number-doses/vial combinations.  The number we want to save is the
> current use and inventory of doses of each vaccine, a simple calculation
> but soon not to be available to us.

The decision to remove calculated data elements does not really imply that
we will not support calculated values. Its more a technical matter in that
the current implementation of calculated data element is buggy and the
purpose of the object is duplicating that of the indicator object. We are
well aware of the need for basic logistics support in the system. The plan
is to make it possible to include indicators directly in custom forms (and
hence in data set report) to cater for such calculations that you mention
above.

Also please note that when using section based forms the dataset report now
gives you the totals and totals for each category option in each category
combination. We should maybe make those reports available also for data sets
which have custom forms.

>     I hope this raises some discussion and that some of it gets on the
> roadmap.

Yes, thanks again for your feedback and we are looking forward to hearing
more from the Ghana process.

best regards, Lars