Re: Advice on Population denominators

Hi Randy,

We have a similar situation in Zambia. We pre-projected the population
figures for 2000-2010 (from the 2000 census) using growth figures, and
then inserted these as normal data elements in the DHIS 2 database.
AFAIK, DHIS 2 has no ability to "project" data in the manner which you
describe. We used external statistical programs, followed by data
transformation and import to accomplish this task.

I have filed a blueprint on this topic...

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/data-projection

In regards to the use of percentages for different populations, this
should be possible through the use of indicators. If you have a base
population and a factor for pregnant women, you would need to enter
both the population and factor as data elements. The combination of
the two could then be used as a denominator for instance in ANC
calculations.

I think the best way would be to pre-project the population figures
for each year and the factors (pregnant women, WPA, etc) and import
these for each organisational unit by year into DHIS 2. Then, you can
use this as the basis for calculations for indicators. This is the
procedure we use in Zambia, and it works fine.

Regards,
Jason