Re: Optionally Display "Description" of Data Elements on the Data Entry Page

Hi John,

On 05.11.2012 23:26, John Ojo wrote:
Dear All,

One of the details of Data Elements we record (though optional) on the
'Create new data element' page is 'Description'. This information is
very useful because here, we can describe precisely how data should be
collected for the data element in question.
After the description of the data element is entered on the Create new
data element page or 'Edit data element' page by the user, I do not see
any other place in DHIS2 where the description of the data element is used.

It is actually displayed if you click the "i" (information) symbol next to a data element in the list of data elements. But of course, it is not here that is is most useful, but rather in data entry screen as you suggest.

I am suggesting by this mail, if we could put this useful information
about the data element to some good use on the Data Entry page.

During data entry, when a data entry field is selected, a bubble
displays at the top-right corner of the data entry screen showing the
orgunit, the period and then the data element corresponding to the
selected data entry field. Is it possible we display also, the data
element Description in this bubble? This could appear as shown in the
attached screenshot (indicated by the red arrow).

A very good suggestion I think.

Displaying the data element description could be made optional with a
checkbox in the systems settings module.

Yes, I think so, as sometimes the descriptions might perhaps be a bit long, and you don't want the text to cover half your table. Another option could be a default, fixed size, and then you could scroll if you are interested in all the description text. Or just a link "Show description", while usually not showing it.

Regards,
Johan

Thank you.

John