Re: MS Access to DHIS 2 Fwd: DHIS2

Hi Gabriel,

There are of course many approaches to this. A few of the ones which I know
about. The basic approach is going to be one of the following

1) Injection of (meta)data with SQL directly into the database. This
approach can be powerful, but demands precision and  you must know the data
model  and application relatively well, as there are a lot of "gotchas"
which are not always apparent directly from the model itself.
2) Import of (meta)data with XML
3) Import of data with CSV

There are many ways to get to this point of course. High-level programming
languages (VB, Python, and R) are well suited to the task.

In terms of methods, here are a few ideas.

1) I have heard to users somehow using Access itself to transform the data
into something which can be used by DHIS2, such as the CSV import
mechanism. I do now know about the details of this method, but others might
be able to fill you in.
2) It should be possible to bring the data in Excel and then transform it
into either CSV or possible SQL statements, and then export this as a CSV
or text file.
3) My preferred mechanism is with the programming language R.  I have
included a number of trivial examples in the documentation, but the point
here is that R can import data directly from Access databases, and allow
you to manipulate/clean the data as needed, and eventually, transform it
into CSV or XML for import into DHIS2.

This will often come down to what resources  and capacities you have
available to you.  If you need more direct help, you can contact me
directly for commercial support options.

Regards,
Jason