GIS best practice choice of colours

Hi

I am no expert here, but I was talking last week with someone who had just
been on a GIS course.  She made the interesting observation that when you
are displaying numerical data as shaded regions on a map, you should not
mix primary colours in the same gradated scale because what you end up with
is sort of rubic cube kaleidoscope of colour rather than a clear gradation
of values.

If that is good advice then I think our demo site could be improved as
presently it seems like a good example of bad practice, where we have mixed
red, green and blue with joyful and cheerful abandon :-)

I had a go to change the Diarrhoea map on the dashboard at
http://apps.dhis2.org/dev/dhis-web-dashboard-integration/index.action and I
think it is true that it conveys the data better than the extreme
multi-coloured ones around it.  Even if the distribution of data between
bands is not so interesting.  Anyone agree or disagree? (the data will only
be there for a short while longer)

If there is a best practice to be had here regarding colour selection I
guess we should promote it, particularly with default offerings so that
people have to be quite deliberate in order to go astray.

Bob

Follow ups