Re: Upgrade of Customize war file

Hi Gerald

Is this the server in the national office or one of the district servers
(you can respond to me off list)?  My understanding is that Romain already
went through the process of upgrading the old national database on the
linode.  So what you are taking about now is something different to what
has already been done?

Anyway, the very first task would be to get a backup dump of the postgres
database which is running on the standalone machine and the customised dhis
2.5 war file.  Then if you are deploying on a cloud server you might want
to start by just replicating exactly what is there ie.

1.  create a dhis instance (using the dhis2-tools package)
2.  restore the backup database to the dhis instance database
3.  deploy the old war file which you have from the standalone.  (you can
use the -f option of dhis2-deploy-war for this).

>From here you should verify that you have an exact replica running on the
linode of what you had before on the standalone.

Upgrading to later dhis2 versions is generally best done incrementally (of
course from 2.5 to 2.15 is a long way to go).  But you are likely to get
the best results by working through 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 ... etc.  Doing this on
the linode with dhis2-deploy-war should be reasonably painless, with each
increment taking no more than a few minutes.

Before setting forth on this exercise it is also probably worthwhile to try
and fix any inconsistencies and metadata integrity issues that might exist
in the old database.  Getting rid of things like orphaned categoryoptions
and the like at this stage might prevent issues arising as you attempt to
upgrade.

One big caveat ...

I am a bit nervous to read that you have a customised war file.  Naturally
these customisations will not be present in later stock versions of dhis
that you upgrade to.  What you will need to do depends entirely on what the
customisations are.  Can you give some more info on how the war is
customised (and maybe by who)?

Regards
Bob