Re: Reporting Issue with Yearly & Average Data Elements

Hi Maheed,

though maybe not intuitive, this is the way it works at the moment. Let me
try to explain: The aggregation operator applies for a single aggregation
period only. So if you ask for the aggregated value for a year, and the
data is collected quarterly, it will return the average of those quarters.
Currently, if you have multiple periods as filter, it will sum across those
periods.

We could have refined it and said that if the data element has the average
operator, we also average across filter time periods. However it would be a
bit complex - if there are multiple data elements in the pivot, all with
different aggregation operators (sum, average, count), we would not know
which operator to use.

That said, I do see the need for averaging across multiple years and we
could have made it so that it uses the aggregation operator from the data
elements given that all data elements share the same operator, and if not,
default to sum.

regards,

Lars

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Maheed Ramadan <maheed.ramadan@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>  Dear All,
>

> I was testing the demo database and found the following issue.
>

> As you see in the 1st screenshot, I added the “Total Population” data
> element to the pivot table, with the last 12 months on the left side.
>
> Here all values of the data element are the same and this is logical since
> the “Total Population” data element is configured to use “Yearly & Average”
> aggregation method
>

> However, if we remove the “period” element to the Filter section, the
> pivot will show the “Total population” in one cell with the value =
> 11,089,164 which is the Sum of the data element value for both year 2013
> and 2014. (see 2nd picture below).
>

> Is this a correct calculation? I think the result should stay the same
> since it should be averaging the values in both years and the value should
> stay = 5,544,582.
>

> Awaiting your feedback if this is a bug or not.

> Thank you.
>

> Maheed.

JPEG image

JPEG image