Re: Surveillance rule

Hi João,

To compare a data element's value with the previous month, create a
validation rule of type "Surveillance", period type "Monthly", set the
"Sequential sample count" to 1, and leave the "Annual sample count" blank
(or zero.)

Then when you reference the data element on the left side of the equation,
it refers to the value for the current month. When you reference it on the
right side, it refers to the value in the previous month. For example if
you are looking at June 2015 data, the June 2015 data will be used on the
left side of the equation, and May 2015 data will be used on the right side.

If you wanted to compare the data element's value with the average value of
the previous (n) months, put the count (n) into the "Sequential sample
count". For example, if you set Sequential sample count to 2 and are
looking at June 2015 data, then June 2015 data will be used on the left
side of the equation, and the average value between April and May 2015 will
be used on the right side.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Jim