Filters and re-usability for Indicators

Dear all,

in my current approach for feeding DHIS2 with data from a source system, I rely
heavily on Categories / CategoryCombinations as dimensions for a DataSet (E.g.
DataElement: NumberOfBalls, Dimension: Color of Balls[red,blue,green]). From a
data-modelling perspective this is much more flexible than creating single
dataelements RedBalls, GreenBalls and BlueBalls, as I can easily add other
colors and maybe also a material dimenesion in the future.

However, this only makes sense, when I can make use of the dimensions later on,
especially when defining indicators. So far I have only seen indicators that can
be calculated from simple DataElements.

What I'd actually need would be indicators, that can
a) filter dataElements according to dimension values. Example: Indicator
IND_RedBalls = NumberOfBalls where(Color=red)
b) be re-used in subsequent indidator definitions. Example: IND_Redishness =
IND_RedBalls / (IND_GreenBalls + IND_Blueballs)
During analysis (e.g. pivot-table) a) must be applied when selecting data before
aggregation, b) must be applied after aggregation (I think someone was asking
for this last year)

I can't figure out how to do that with the current indicator manager. If it is
possible, can someone please suggest a solution? If it is not possible - is
there a chance to get a blue-print through with this, if I wrote one?

Thanks a lot,

Uwe

Follow ups