Re: Importing DHS survey data in DHIS

Hi Olav & Randy,

I am currently banging on kettle (aka Pentaho DI) to extract data from a source-system (SQL-ERP in our case) into DHIS2 dataSets in json format. In our current test-scenario (2 dataElements in a dataSet with a categoryCombination of 5 categories) we are currently updating ca. 4 mio dataValues every night in a pseudo-delta mode (reading all data from source, comparing to what is there in DHIS2 already, then only pushing records for creating, updating or deleting dataValues into the api: ca. 150k per night in 1 hour, initial load was 7hrs). We still have to prove, that this is feasible when setting up the first real life dataSet where there will be more categories and more dataElements, thus exploding the number of dataValues.

Getting there was a bit painful, but now it seems to work. I chose kettle instead of Talend ETL (both open source) as it seemed to be easier to get used to. However, from a data warehouse perspective I'd prefer to have DHIS2 offering some sort of an integrated ETL landscape on the long run, which would also allow to aggregate data from tracker into dataSets, tracker to tracker, dataSets to dataSets etc.

Our current version of the kettle transformations and jobs were designed to be generic (not for a specific dataSet, but you have to design your own extractor which could be a simple csv-reader or maybe a DHS api-call). If you are interested, I will share them. Just be aware that they are currently in a very early and rough state and not documented. You'd have to bring along the willingness to dig yourself into kettle and be pain resistant to a certain degree :-)

I'd be interested to hear from other experiences ...

Have a nice sunday,

Uwe

---