Re: ETL process with DHIS2

HI Henri,

sorry for for chipping in late, I am on vaccation. We are using kettle for
extracting data into DHIS2 as a prototype for a datawarehouse in a corporate
setting. A few of Aarons points on Talend apply for kettle as well. Things can
get tricky, but that is partly because of the nature of data import into DHIS2.
Support, community etc are not as vivid as the DHIS2 community, but you still
find some material on the net.

It runs and does the job. Currently we are batteling with memory issues as I am
trying to find some suitable method of packaging data partitions. Again, that is
not only kettles fault.

I just found out that the MoH is also using kettle in their HMIS setting, so I
am quite confident to have a few ressource persons in the country for
sustainable hand-over.

Compared to R etc I like the graphical data-flow, which helps when discussing
transformations with users. You can actually see what is going into and is
coming out of a process with a mouse-click.

Our current transformations are quite generique for extracting from a custom
data-source, hoping to put them on the net after some clean ups.

Generally speaking I'd prefere to have more extensive ETL capabilites within
DHIS2, though, e.g. to better synchronise and monitor load-jobs, not having to
allocate memory to two java engines, consistent management of data-elements
etc...

Regards,

Uwe