Should I edit category combo after data has been entered in old categories

Hi

I have category combination of Men and Women for some data elements. There
is already data entered for these data elements.

Now, I want to edit the category combo to add Boys and Girls i.e. total of
4 categories Men Women, Boys and Girls.

If I edit the category combo , will it affect my database or analysis in
 any way. I have read somewhere previously that it is not advisable to edit
category combos once data is entered. I don't need to convert old data in
any way, old data can stay in old categories, and moving forward i need to
capture data in above said 4 categories.

Please advise..

Thank you
Deepali

Follow ups