Upgrading from 2.16

I have a couple of 2.16 installations that should probably be brought up to date.
What are the major caveats I should be looking out for and what is the latest stable DHIS2 version that I should be aiming for?  It's critical that service be maintained for the client, I will run the upgrades on another box and validate them before updating live but I wondered if anyone had anything specific that comes to mind that I should look out for or be aware prior to upgrading.  Do I need to upgrade incrementally?

Thanks in advance!

Follow ups