Sequential number

Good evening,
I am trying the generate sequential value for data element for a event
capture program.

1) I created a data element "de_local_number" (value type as positive
integer)
2) Then i created a program value variable "prv_ic_sequential"
equal to data element "de_local_number"
with the source type:
"data element from the newest event for a program stage"
OR "data element from the newest event in the current program"
OR "data element from previous event"
3) then created a program rule
with the condition of #{prv_ic_sequential} > 0
with the action to assign value of "de_local_number" as (
#{prv_ic_sequential}  + 1 )
4) Then entered a first event specifying "1" for "de_local_number"
5) Then entered a second event. The "de_local_number" did not take the
value (1+1).

Is there any mistake in the procedures?
I will be thankful if you can advise.

Sincerely
Nada
--
Nada Ghosn, MD
Head, Epidemiology Surveillance Program (Esumoh)