divmod-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Merge] lp:~florent.x/pyflakes/1097061-unittest2 into lp:pyflakes

To be fair, the testsuite was dependent on Twisted previously, even if it was not declared in setup.py.

Here, the optional import gives a benefit for commands like:

 $ python setup.py test

This allows to run the tests simply, and it takes care of installing the 'test_requires' dependency without other action (without any assumption on the test framework: nose, py.test, twisted.trial, unittest, etc...).
This particular use case is not supported by the distutils library.

In addition, the optional dependency is not on setuptools exclusively. It works perfectly with distribute as well.
I just tried without distribute/setuptools, and I see that there's UserWarnings in the console.
I could change setup.py in order to add 'test_requires'/'test_suite' keywords only if the feature is available.

For the record, there are some users which use the advanced features of distribute/setuptools and already tried to have it supported: https://github.com/kevinw/pyflakes/pull/19

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~florent.x/pyflakes/1097061-unittest2/+merge/142224
Your team Divmod-dev is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~florent.x/pyflakes/1097061-unittest2 into lp:pyflakes.