documentation-packages team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1574534] Re: Aspect ratio of Ubuntu Mono font at small sizes changed
Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.
** Changed in: ubuntu-font-family-sources (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Confirmed
You received this bug notification because you are a member of
Documentation Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-font-family-
sources in Ubuntu.
Aspect ratio of Ubuntu Mono font at small sizes changed
Status in ubuntu-font-family-sources package in Ubuntu:
After upgrading from Ubuntu MATE 15.10 to 16.04 I notice that the
Ubuntu Mono font is considerably wider at 11pt than it was before. In
fact, character widths at 11pt are the same as at 12pt, which can be
easily verified in the following way:
* Use a regular density (~100 dpi) display
* Open MATE Terminal
* Edit the current profile, selecting Ubuntu Mono 12 as the font, and apply changes.
* Edit the profile again, changing the font size to 11. Apply changes and observe how the window resizes: it will shrink in height but maintain the same width.
This is undesirable for a number of reasons:
* Stability: drastically altering font may cause all kinds of display issues (and use cases for monospaced fonts are likely to be even more vulnerable to this)
* Screen real estate: text at 11pt now takes up considerably more size (width is the same as it is at 12pt)
* Aesthetics: 11pt test looks unnaturally stretched out.
To manage notifications about this bug go to: