documentation-packages team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1791548] Re: Incorrect description for activation of new on-screen keyboard with Gnome 3.28 (Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS) and 3.30 (Ubuntu Cosmic 18.10)
** Package changed: ubuntu-docs (Ubuntu) => gnome-user-docs (Ubuntu)
** Changed in: gnome-user-docs (Ubuntu)
Importance: Undecided => Medium
You received this bug notification because you are a member of
Documentation Packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu.
Incorrect description for activation of new on-screen keyboard with
Gnome 3.28 (Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS) and 3.30 (Ubuntu Cosmic 18.10)
Status in gnome-user-docs package in Ubuntu:
The docs give an incorrect description:
"The on-screen keyboard is automatically enabled if you use a touchscreen
1. Open the Activities overview and start typing Universal Access.
2. Click on Universal Access to open the panel.
3. Switch on Screen Keyboard in the Typing section.
When you next have the opportunity to type, the on-screen keyboard will open at the bottom of the screen."
The Gnome 3.28 release notes say something different, but this is also incorrect:
"The new keyboard automatically activates when a text area is selected, ..."
* It is not necessary to activate it in Universal access.
* The keyboard does not always automatically activate when selecting a text area.
* It can be summoned in Wayland by swiping up on a touch screen, but this does not work in the default X session. There is no known way to summon it in X if selecting a text widget does not automatically bring it up, which is a common situation.
The situation is still the same in Cosmic. This documentation bug is
particularly troublesome because even in the best case, Wayland, there
is no UI hint for how to summon it, and it is difficult to discover.
There are several questions on Askubuntu and the answers that existed
so far show that basically no-one understood the whole story. (I added
answers just now)
For a more detailed description I refer you to my comment on the bug
report, "New On-screen keyboard cannot be manually triggered to
New bug report for discoverability:
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
Package: ubuntu-docs 18.04.4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-34.37-generic 4.15.18
Uname: Linux 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl nvidia
Date: Sun Sep 9 22:47:11 2018
InstallationDate: Installed on 2012-09-15 (2185 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120823.1)
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-04-08 (154 days ago)
To manage notifications about this bug go to: