Re: Evaluating dolfin for use

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 Anders Logg wrote:

> I've looked at ublas before. It's certainly one of the
> alternatives. Another option we have looked at is MTL, see
>
>     http://www.osl.iu.edu/research/mtl/
>
> but it seems to be out of development.

One of its developers,  Jeremy Siek, is active within
boost, but not specifically on ublas.

> Is ublas actively maintained?

Yes, news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.ublas

> 1. The package needs to pass the simple test
>
>     apt-cache search package

I believe boost as a whole is available through apt.

> DOLFIN currently
> uses operator overloading in C++ to create a language for variational
> forms. The problem with this approach is that the form is
> "interpreted" run-time (creating objects) which makes the assembly
> slower than optimal.

It is possible to make this a compile time approach. Boost.spirit
does this to allow the user to write EBNF, and generates parsers
for them at compile time (http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/index.html)

This is beginning to sound like boost advocacy, which wasn't the point!

Hugo