Re: Re: Linear Algebra

Several things need to be considered:
Same variational form for same formulation (i.e. low order stabilized or Taylor-Hood? incompressible? Compressible? Same preconditioner and solver with same tolerances?

At any rate (making the assumption that Johann and Matt did a comparable job coding), supposing they are doing exactly the same method and that Matt is just 10 times better a programmer than Johann (this is for the sake of argument). Still, the ratio of assembly to solve is significant in both cases, and even speeding up something that takes a third of the time might lead to a 10-20% savings if we're really smart with FErari. Shaving a day off of a week run is still moderately interesting.