installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

Dear DOLFIN developers,

I work in a small computational immunology research group in the Dept
of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at Duke University in North
Carolina. We are trying to set up simulation projects, which involve
solving pde's. We are interested in both Petsc and DOLFIN.

I've been trying to install 0.5.7 on Debian. Unfortunately, I've been having some difficulties, and I hope you can help.

At least part of the problems I've had involve the installation of Petsci, which dolfin has difficulty compiling against.

The structure of the installation of Petsci is quite complicated, but seems to consist of 4 directories, namely bin, bmake, include and lib.

For some reason, there are some header files in /bmake/linux-gnu in addition to those in include. The compilation had problems locating these include files.

So, my first question is, what kind of Petsci library structure does dolfin expect to be compiling against?

There seem to be (at least) two possibilities.

a) Dolfin expects to compile against Petsci sources. I hope not.

b) Dolfin can compile against only the Petsci shared/static libraries and header files.

If the latter, where does dolfin expect the directories listed above to be located?

Let me know if you want to see a configure log or anything else. This was tested on a pretty bare-bones sarge (chrooted) Debian system.

Just a few more questions.

In your estimation, is DOLFIN ready for general usage? The code and design looks very good but the documentation is sparse. Are the developers willing to answer questions about the details of the library?

I see DOLFIN is currently using Petsc 2.2.1. However, 2.3 is the most recent release, and the most recent version packaged for Debian is 2.2.0. Are there any plans to switch to using 2.3 in the near future? Do you have any Debian packages of more recent versions of Petsci or of DOLFIN available?

Thanks in advance.

                                                                 Faheem.

Follow ups