Re: Binary size

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:10:02PM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:05:48PM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:
> > When I did the last change and compiled, I noticed the binaries have
> > grown in size a lot. They are now around 70MB in size (previously
> > around 10MB). Maybe this should be looked at before the release. Is it
> > due to PETSc 2.3? I haven't had time to figure out what the cause is.
> >
> >   Johan
> >

> I see what the cause is now. Previously the PETSc libraries were
> linked dynamically, now they're linked statically.
>
>   Johan

I think we should set up both PETSc and DOLFIN to do dynamic
linking. The size of a compiled DOLFIN source tree is now 1.8GB...
Even before with PETSc linked statically, the size was around 700MB.

Maybe we should start looking at using libtool? I don't know how to
use it, so I might need some help.

In the meantime, I will add a new target 'demo' to make and change so
that the standard target 'all' does not compile the demo programs.
(But then all maintainers must remember to do a 'make demo' before
checking something in!)

I will fix this after lunch and then the new version.