Re: Boost Python

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

You have to pick something.

What would the benefits be with Boost Python?

I'm not familiar with SWIG, so I can't offer a direct comparison.

However, using Boost Python one can do automatic arbitrary user-defined conversion between Python and C++ types. One has to write to write the conversion function.

Also, it is possible to mimic C++ class structure, including polymophism on a fine level using Python, with no limits other than those defined by Python's limitations, as far as I know.

Also, things like smart pointers are handled automatically, and in other cases where ownership is not well defined it is possible to define ownership semantics.

See the Boost Python tutorial at http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/index.html.

Also, see http://www.boost-consulting.com/writing/bpl.html

The arbitary user-defined conversion stuff is not documented as far as I know, but is easy to use.

                                                                Faheem.