Re: PyDOLFIN: [...]

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:08:28PM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:50:55AM -0500, Anders Logg wrote:

> > Very good!
> >
> > Now that the Python interface is becoming more useful, maybe we should
> > promote it with a better position in the source tree?
> >
> > I suggest we put it in one of
> >
> >   src/pydolfin
> >   src/swig
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >   dolfin  src/demo/scripting/pydolfin/
> >

> Ok, "src/pydolfin" seems to be the natural choice.

Sounds good to me.

> > It should also be installed in the usual place where Python packages
> > get installed during 'make install'. The test examples could still be
> > under src/demo. This could wait until after the next release.
> >
> > Another question we've discussed previously: should we keep the
> > current system where 'make' does a fake install in $toplevel or should
> > it be necessary to to a 'make install' before doing 'make demo'?
> >
> > The advantage would be that we could simplify the build system: Faheem
> > Mitha reported some problems with the fake install not being cleaned
> > during a 'make clean', and we could remove all the
> >
> >     '../../../dolfin-config --cflags'
> >
> > stuff in the demo Makefiles. The disadvantage would be that it would
> > introduce one extra step to run the demos.
> >
> > /Anders
> >

> The current variant does have an advantage in that it's much easier to
> test the demos (if you can't do a system install at least). On the
> other hand, having a Debian package would give a similar benefit.

One option is to do

    ./configure --prefix=`pwd`
    export PATH="$PATH:"`pwd`"/bin"

which would accomplish the same thing.

We could add a small script that checks for dolfin-config when running
'make demo' with some recommendations for how to make a proper install.

> Perhaps it's a good idea to remove the fake install approach and
> instead focus on generating and distributing a Debian package?

Sounds good to me. Any objections?