Re: [PETSC #13881] Re: nls: [...]

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

> But it seems strange that the version number is still 2.3.0 if it is
> actually different from the original 2.3.0. Why not change the version
> number to avoid confusion?

We do update the patch level [stored in petsc/include/petscversion.h]

The reason for the current approach [update the release tarfile with
patches] is:

- when doing a fresh install very few people appear to download
  [tarfile+patchfile]

- tarfile + patchfile_21 + patchfile_32 creates some errors/fuzz
[because of already applied patches] - and users don't know for sure
if these patch-errors can be ignored.

- patchfile for Buildsytem component would be a differet file - and
would need to applied differently

- Its easier for us to re-generate the tarfile then create a patchfile

Maybe for the next releae I'll see if I can also encode 'patchlevel'
in the tarfile-name & dirname [petsc-2.3.1-11.tar.gz,
PETSC_DIR=petsc-2.3.1-11]

Satish