libtool problems

When I run scripts/preconfigure to regenerate the build system, I get
a number of error messages. First from autoconf:

configure.ac:59: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
      m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.

Then from automake:

src/kernel/common/Makefile.am:17: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined

I get the same error from the rest of the Makefile.am:s.

If I later try to compile, I get the following errors:

/bin/sh: @LIBTOOL@: command not found

If I try to export LIBTOOL from configure.ac by just doing

AC_SUBST(LIBTOOL)

then the error messages disappear but I still cannot compile:

/bin/sh: --mode=compile: command not found

So it seems that configure.ac should export something in LIBTOOL which
it doesn't. Any ideas?