Re: Gradient Reconstruction

Thanks Garth, exactly what I need, I want to calculate the strain rates and out of that the stress tensor.

Alex

Garth N. Wells wrote:

If you'd like to compute the gradient for post-processing purposes, you
need to set up a separate variational problem which would return the
gradient. Dealing with the gradient of a vector is a little tricky since
FFC and DOLFIN are not yet equipped to deal with tensor functions. Below
is an example FFC input file which would be useful for post-processing.
I'll add it to src/demo/pde/elasticity shortly. If you want to compute a
stress tensor from the strain, you'd probably want to make the elementE
"Discontinuous vector Lagrange".

Garth

# Compute normal strain components
#
elementE = FiniteElement("Vector Lagrange", "triangle", 1, 3)
elementU = FiniteElement("Vector Lagrange", "triangle", 2)

v = BasisFunction(elementE)  # test function
e = BasisFunction(elementE)  # strain (to be computed)
u = Function(elementU) # displacement
def normal_strain(u): # eps_xx    eps_yy             gam_xy
	return [u[0].dx(0), u[1].dx(1), (u[0].dx(1) + u[1].dx(0))]

a = dot(v, e)*dx
L = dot(v, normal_strain(u))*dx