Future work

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:19:40PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> Maybe this is a good time to prioritise future efforts?
>
> Things which I'd really like to have (motivated by problems I'm working
> on now) are:
>
> -more general boundary conditions (starting to work on this now)
>    * Neumann bc's
>    * u \dot n type Dirichlet bc's

This is high on my priority list as well.

> -non-affine elements

We should do this but it would require more work since FFC is largely
based on affine mappings.

Johan J is working on Nedelec and other elements that use the Piola
transform. Are you thinking about isoparametric elements?

> -ability to read things into the parameter system from a file (so a
> program doesn't have to be recompiled to change a variable)

Good news, this is already implemented:

    File file("parameters.xml");
    file >> ParameterSystem::parameters;

Try saving your current parameters to get an initial parameter
file to start from:

    File file("parameters.xml");
    file << ParameterSystem::parameters;

> -projections onto different meshes.

I discussed this with Johan H last week. I would very much like to be
able to do this, which is really necessary to be able to do any kind
of adaptivity (at least when the mesh changes from one time step to
the next).

The problem with this one is that it connects to the mesh and we are
still waiting for Sieve... and then we need to reimplement much of the
functionality for the mesh anyway.

The following seems to be a list of priorities for the near future (in
no particular order):

 1. General boundary conditions including Neumann
 2. Reimplement mesh classes based on Sieve
 3. Projections between meshes
 4. Parallel assembly
 5. Non-affine elements
 6. Finish up manual
 7. Finish up ODE solvers
 8. Finish up PyDOLFIN, including JIT compilation

I hope I will be able to finish 7 this week or the next.

To do 2-3-4, we need to ask Matt and Dmitry what is happening to
Sieve and when we might expect the first release.

Let's discuss these points to get a list of priorities. Then we start
at the top of the list and get down to work. It would be great if we
could get dedicated effort from everyone. I think we should be able to
make quick progress.