Re: Boundaries

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 09:49 +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 05:42:14PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> > > I'm not sure we can do that. The functions on the boundary are
> > > restrictions of what we have on the interior and it may be difficult
> > > to separate. Why would we need this?
> > >

> > We need to work with the traces of the test functions defined on the
> > interior (and trial too if we have solution-dependent bc's), but the
> > function providing the boundary condition should be defined using an
> > element one topological dimension lower. A very common case is a
> > boundary condition which is discontinuous from one element to the next.
> > If it's not discontinuous, it's not possible to apply a boundary
> > condition to only one face of a polygon - the bc "creeps" around the
> > corner. Other examples are the normal vector and elements which might
> > not have nodes on the element facet (like a P0 element).
> >
> > Garth
>
> ok, I understand now. We need to be able to compute both with
> functions that are defined on the entire domain and take the trace
> when we compute integrals over the boundary (what we have now) and
> also with functions that are only defined on the boundary.
>
> This should not be a problem with the new mesh. There are two
> options for this. We either define a function on the boundary as
> something defined on a special shape, like "tetrahedron facet" or we
> just define it on a "triangle" which might be the easiest way forward.
>
> I can't point out exactly what we need to change, so we just need to
> try it out and see what changes we need to make. One thing we need to
> modify is to extend the computation of the affine mapping so it
> supports embedding into a higher-dimensional space and not assuming
> everything is in 2D for a triangle etc.

This should all be relatively simple from the DOLFIN side. More complex
will be FFC. Perhaps a good start is to allow the definition of
functions on elements whose topological dimension is one (or two)
order(s) lower than the space dimension? This would be useful for a
range of problems (shells, etc). Then later we can look at the
interaction between the traces of functions on elements of dimension d
and functions on elements of dimension d-1.

Garth