Re: LU, GMRES and preconditioners

Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:38:42PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
I'd like to change the behaviour of classes LU and GMRES so that one
may do

    Matrix A;
    Vector x, b;

    GMRES::solve(A, x, b);

or

    GMRES::solve(A, x, b, Preconditioner::ilu);

and

    LU::solve(A, x, b);

LU and GMRES would thus not be subclasses or typedefs of
PETSc/uBlasLU/KrylovSolver but instead simple classes with static
functions for simple solution of linear systems. This would then be
the fast and easy way to solve a linear system. For more advanced
usage, one would create a KrylovSolver or PETScKrylovSolver and then
call solver.solve(). But often, one only wants to solve one linear
system and not many and then it's convenient to skip the extra step of
creating the solver.

OK with me.

ok. I can fix this (if it works out with the preconditioners).

This connects to the design of preconditioners. I think we decided to
put the list of preconditioners in Preconditioner so this should be
ok. What's the status of the redesign of preconditioners?

I don't that think we settled on the design of the preconiditoners. It would be nice to have just one enum list of preconditioners in Preconditioner.h, but I haven't had time to look at it yet.

ok. Would it be enough to have a class Preconditioner which just lists
all available preconditioners by name (ilu etc) in an enum type? And
then the solvers just return a run-time error if the preconditioner is
not implemented.

I was thinking more along the lines of Preconditioner being a typedef for PETScPreconditioner or uBlasPreconditioner. Would it work to have

   enum Preconditioner
   {
     // List of preconditioners
   }

   typedef PETScPreconidtioner Preconditioner;

Also, I wouldn't return a run-time error. It would be better to use a default preconditioner and print a warning message.