Re: pydolfin problem

I can elaborate on this problem a little more now. It appears to be an issue when PETSc has been compiled with UMFPACK (or perhaps only when PETSc downloads and links against it's own UMFPACK). There is an issue in linking since the same library (possibly different versions) is being linked to twice.

Garth

Garth N. Wells wrote:
Adding two dummy functions to dolfin_glue.cpp fixes this problem, although I don't understand it. If I check the symbols in the dolfin library I get

$ nm local/lib/libdolfin.so | grep umfpack
         U umfpack_di_free_numeric
         U umfpack_di_free_symbolic
         U umfpack_di_numeric
         U umfpack_di_solve
         U umfpack_di_symbolic
         U umfpack_di_transpose

and for the pydolfin library,

$  nm local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dolfin/_dolfin.so | grep umfpack
000bf980 T umfpack_di_solve
000bf978 T umfpack_di_transpose

Garth

Garth N. Wells wrote:
I'm having trouble with pydolfin when umfpack is installed. I'm pretty sure the reason is that umfpack is a C library, which is why I get the below undefined symbol error.

Somehow, I think
   extern "C"
needs to appear in the SWIG files somewhere as a prefix to the umfpack functions. I've tried a few things without luck. It takes an age to rebuild the SWIG interface, so I'm not getting far with stabs in the dark. Any ideas what should be done?

Garth

   garth@mech136:test$ python test.py
Importing DOLFIN
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test.py", line 10, in ?
     from mesh.test import *
   File "/tmp/dolfin/src/test/mesh/test.py", line 9, in ?
     from dolfin import *
File "/tmp/dolfin/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dolfin/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
     from dolfin import *
File "/tmp/dolfin/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dolfin/dolfin.py", line 4, in ?
     import _dolfin
ImportError: /tmp/dolfin/local/lib/libdolfin.so.0: undefined symbol: umfpack_di_transpose