Re: Notification from dolfin-kth repository

Johan Jansson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:16:51PM +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
>> How about just working against the latest stable release: DOLFIN x.y.z
>> (currently 0.6.2-1)?
>>
>> /Anders
>>

> This doesn't allow distributed development, we still want to develop
> within Mercurial, see changes others make etc.

Repositories are so easy to make, so just make some local ones to share
developments against the stable version.

There's also the case
> where a feature/fix might not yet exist in a release. One example is
> that DOLFIN cannot use a locally installed Boost (if there also exists
> an older system-installed version) with the latest release. This was a
> requirement for using DOLFIN in the Linux environment at KTH
> (CSC/NADA).

This doesn't happen very often, and when it does you can backport the
change (the Boost problems is just a few lines in configure.ac), or you
decide to move to the development version (and keep it fixed).

Any approach that doesn't involve a fork will have some difficulties,
but I don't think that they are that significant.

Garth