Re: [HG] Add test file for parallel assembly. Results appear OK for 2D Poisson equation.

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 07:30:13PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> >> One thing to consider is more sophisticated dof mapping. It is worth
> >> considering a special class to take care of this. This would be useful
> >> for meshes with mixed cell/element types, parallel assembly and
> >> computing sparsity patterns.
> >
> > Yes, we could create a separate class in src/fem/ that takes care of
> > this. Name suggestions: NodeMap, NodeMapping, Nodes, Dofs, DofHandler,
> >

> What about DofHandler or DofManager? I see the class handling the dof
> mapping, as well as generating sparsity patterns. I'll add something,
> and start with a function for computing the number of non-zeroes per
> matrix row (we're overestimating this at the moment substantially which
> is giving me some memory problems).
>
> Garth

Sounds good, but I generally don't like class names like FooHandler,
FooManager, FooDirector etc. When you see a lot of classes with those
names in a library, it is often a signal that the design is not optimal.

We have PETScManager, but the only reason it is not named PETSc is
that it collides with something in PETSc. (But maybe it doesn't
anymore, we should check.) I'd like to have PETSc::init() etc.

/Anders