Re: how to easily distinguish between physical entities

There is no preferred way to handle this, but support is on the way...

The idea is that the (template) class MeshFunction should be used for
putting markers on a mesh, things like sub domain indicators, material
parameters etc. The MeshFunction class can be stored/loaded to/from
XML files and we will support generating a DOLFIN Mesh and
MeshFunction from for example the gmsh format.

One of the groups at Simula have very recently developed a new tool
that can be used to edit meshes and assign material parameters in a
graphical user interface, saving to DOLFIN XML etc. This new tool
should be available soon.

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime, I wrote some python scripts

http://code.google.com/p/femgeom/

for coversion file.geo (gmsh input geometry) to file.poly (tetgen),
then I run tetgen on file.poly, and then I run my scripts again to
convert file.1.ele, file.1.face and file.1.node to any other format,
currently file.msh (gmsh) and file.xda (for libmesh). The file.msh is
currently without any region markers, but my scripts output all the
elements belonging to each region (physical volume in gmsh) to another
file and all the boundary elements (belonging to some physical surface
in gmsh) together with element's sides as well. And this information I
can read in my BC function in dolphin, so this basically solves the
problem.

I also discovered (it's opensource):

http://www.salome-platform.org/

today. Does anyone have any experience with salome?

Ondrej