Re: Breaking functionality

Anders Logg wrote:
So, the new UFC-based assembly seems to be mostly complete and I think
we've reached a point where we need to break everything in order to
finish up.

This should be the last major rewrite we do for a while. We've done
quite a few, but not needing to do another one soon is the whole point
of the UFC interface.

Where should we do this? We can do it in dolfin-dev (dolfin), or we
can set up a separate branch. Doing it in dolfin-dev would be the most
practical, since we will need to touch the code in quite a few places
to get things done.

Meanwhile, we have dolfin-stable for those who need something that
works. (We should write something in the wiki about this!)

Here's a summary of what we have and what we need to do:

- The new UFC-based assembly has been implemented in the class
Assembler and is mostly finished.

- There is a small test program in src/sandbox/assembly.

- We've been able to remove quite a lot of code. As mentioned before,
Assembler.cpp is (still) considerably shorter than FEM.cpp.

- A whole lot of code can be removed from the Function classes. For
example, here is what the implementation of UserFunction looks like:

  void UserFunction::interpolate(real* coefficients,
                                 const ufc::cell& cell,
                                 const ufc::finite_element& finite_element)
  {
    for (uint i = 0; i < finite_element.space_dimension(); i++)
      coefficients[i] = finite_element.evaluate_dof(i, *this, cell);
  }

And here is what the implementation of DiscreteFunction looks like:

  void NewDiscreteFunction::interpolate(real* coefficients,
                                        const ufc::cell& cell,
                                        const ufc::finite_element& finite_element)
  {
    dof_map->tabulate_dofs(dofs, cell);
    x.get(coefficients, dof_map->local_dimension(), dofs);
  }

- The class NewDiscreteFunction will replace DiscreteFunction and I
would like us to try hard to avoid trying to make too much of it. In
particular, it owns all its data (except for the mesh which is a
reference) so we don't need to mess with smart pointers or tracking
who owns the vector etc.

Any problem adding a function to DiscreteFunction which returns the DofMap? For I/O, I need to get the mesh (which I can get from DofMap).

Garth

- A lot of classes will be removed: BilinearForm, LinearForm,
Functional, FEM, FiniteElement, FiniteElementSpec, AffineMap.

- A lot of classes will need to be updated: PDE, LinearPDE,
NonlinearPDE, all the modules, most of the demos.

- The new assembler has not been merged with Garth's parallel
assembler, but now may be the time.

- All help appreciated...

Any last words before I start taking things apart?