Re: PDE classes

Anders Logg wrote:
The PDE classes are now back on track again and LinearPDE is working.
Garth, could you look at NonlinearPDE?

Sure, but I don't know how soon.

It's somewhat different from before, but in essence the same. Both
LinearPDE and NonlinearPDE are sub classes of GenericPDE which have
protected members a (bilinear form), L (linear form), the mesh, a list
of boundary conditions to be applied and the solution vector x. For a
linear PDE, we have the variational problem

   a(v, u) = L(v) for all v

whereas for a nonlinear PDE, we have the variational problem

   L_u(v) = 0 for all v

and the bilinear form a is the derivative of L.

Note that the PDE class owns the solution vector and is responsible
for its creation and deletion. The Function class only holds a
reference to it.

The next step should be to get Stokes working and for that we need to
do some work on both the FFC and DOLFIN sides.

What about elasticity as the next step? This should require work on the DOLFIN side only (?), mainly related applying boundary conditions to selected components of a vector.

Dr. Garth N. Wells
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Delft University of Technology
Stevinweg 1
2628 CN Delft
Netherlands