Re: Removing modules?

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 07:42:39PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
> > Could we remove the modules (solvers)?
> >
> > We have discussed putting the modules in a separate repository for a
> > while and we might as well do it now.
> >
> > I suggest we remove them now and then someone willing to maintain the
> > modules in a separate project can make sure that the modules work
> > against the new interface.
> >
> > Any objections? (some expected ;-)
> >

> Given that most of the modules are not being regularly maintained and
> have not gone beyond the embryonic stage, I'm inclined to say remove
> them. Also, the demos have increased in sophistication and demonstrate
> DOLFIN use for new users.

ok. If I don't hear anything else by Monday afternoon, I'll remove the
modules.

> In terms of maintenance, most modules are even less likely to be
> maintained if they are spun off into a separate package. What about just
> letting individuals make modules available? Module developers closely
> involved with FEniCS project could publish their modules under
> http://www.fenics.org/dev/, and others could place them on their own web
> pages, with links from www.fenics.org.
>
> Garth

I'd prefer to have a maintained and polished set of solvers with
somewhat similar interfaces all available as a single package
dolfin-modules. But this would require that someone is willing to put
in the work to maintain and develop the modules (and I'm not).

But if that's not the case, then the next best thing is to publish the
modules separately under http://www.fenics.org/dev/.

Anyway, I'll remove the modules and then we'll see what happens.