Re: [HG DOLFIN] Add support for setting periodic boundary conditions.

On 7/9/07, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Good point, but I don't see how to do this in DOLFIN without a few major
>> changes. For example, we assume that each vertex is associated to
>> exactly one coordinate and the local-to-global mappings that FFC
>> generate are computed in terms of the global number of vertices, edges
>> etc.
>
> I think we can preserve those. Imagine discretizing a cylinder, but with
> Cartesian coordinates.The connectivity will give the correct assembly.

ok so far...

> Our only problem is calculation of the Jacobian (I will ignore coordinate
> functions for now). Since J only depends on coordinate differences, it
> is enough to take differences mod L = \pi d. I have implemented this
> for my thesis. It works well and I think its simpler to think about.

But what about when it's not a cylinder? Say a mesh of the unit square
and its not embedded in 3D.

Not sure what you mean here. Everything I said goes through for a
discretization of

  R^k \times S^{n-k}

So basically the product of a box and a torus. Do you have something
more complicated?

  Matt

/Anders