Re: Pydolfin, builtin functions

Yes, it does tie PyDOLFIN closely to FFC. In particular, assemble.py does

from ffc import *

This is necessary to have builtin form evaluation in DOLFIN. It needs a form language and it's difficult to support two different languages. We really need to implement UFL to have something which is not FFC-specific but we can try to find a way around for supporting SyFi forms with minimal hassle.

/Anders

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
Although it is a neat idea, I'm slightly worried about this approach,
since it ties FFC very close to PyDOLFIN. I worry that it can create
difficulties when using SFC (SyFi) instead of FFC in DOLFIN. Maybe if
we create this infamous UFL and inherit from that instead of FFC, that
can be a solution, but I'm planning on using DOLFIN and SFC together
sooner than we'll likely finish UFL. Anyway, I'll let you know if I
hit any real problems when I get that far.