Re: Abstract base class for SparsityPattern?

Ola Skavhaug wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on implementing pycc::CRS as a direct sub class of
dolfin::GenericMatrix, and need an abstract base class for sparsity patterns.
For the moment, dolfin::SparsityPattern is not polymorphic, so I can't inherit
from it. The best solution would perhaps be to have a GenericSparsityPattern
defining the public interface for sparsity patterns, and then dolfin can
implement dolfin::SparsityPattern as a concrete subclass, and in PyCC we can
implement a pycc::CRSGraph as another subclass.

Sounds good, but what is it that CRSGraph needs that SparsityPattern does not already provide? The sparsity pattern is computed as a

  std::vector< std::set<int> > sparsity_pattern;

which presumably should be enough to initialize a CRS matrix.

Any ideas or future plans for implementing this? The benefit from this
construction would be the possibility of using dolfin/ffc to assemble pdes in
PyCC, such that we can throw our old matrix factories out the door.

Just go ahead and implement it (if you need it, see above).

/Anders

Ola