Re: ConstantFunction

Anders Logg wrote:
The idea was that one should be able to plot any Function.
This means that every Function must be defined on a Mesh.

We didn't have this before which meant we needed to have things like Function::attach(mesh), Function::attach(element) etc.

So the need for a Mesh is to keep the code simpler, but I can see the need for being able to do things like

  Function f = 1.0;

Would it be better to introduce a new class Constant, which does not require a Mesh? (Constant would inherit from Function and replace the constant Function backend.)

I don't think that it will take much to check if a mesh has been associated with a Function or not. This is probably simpler than adding a new class.

Garth N. Wells wrote:
Is there a reason why a ConstantFunction must be associated with a mesh,

   Function(mesh, 1.0);

It makes the initialisation of a ConstantFunction rather tedious since the mesh must be passed around. If it's not needed, I'll allow a constant function to be initialised without a mesh possible, and just return an error if a user tries to write the function to a VTK file.