Re: Parallel assembly

>> on
>> an
>> is

>> not

>> Or
>> >>

>> > There is still a conflict. The METIS license basically says that it
>> can
>> > be used for non-profit purposes only, and permission is required to
>> > re-distribute it.
>>
>> Ok, then there is a problem.

>> and
>> >>

>> > It does have it now. That said, I can't see us using or needing
>> parallel
>> > partitioning in the short- to medium-term future.
>>
>> Ok. Maybe we'll manage with Scotch for now then.
>>
>> As for parallel assembly, we will need this in the coming months, so we
>> will push the fully parallel approach within Nicklas' msc project,
>> including parallel redistribution for adaptively refined meshes (which
>> parMetis seems to support nicely).
>>
>> /Johan
>
> Sounds very good, but if major changes to the Mesh classes are
> necessary (which seems likely), I suspect I will be somewhat sensitive
> to having all those changes pushed at once. So it would be good to
> discuss plans for the design as early as possible so we can all feel
> comfortable with the changes.
>
> --
> Anders

I agree. That's why the TODO list was added in the dolfin rep, and an
accompanying dolfin-dev post was sent (...which got stuck in the filter).
With a fresh dolfin-dev membership, Nicklas can resend his post where the
strategy is presented in more detail, which then anyone can comment on.

I would expect the plan to be rather uncontroversial, and it will fit
nicely with the work of Magnus.

/Johan