discrete function initialization

Firstly, I am trying to update my code to the latest version of DOLFIN (pulled today). I am getting an assertion error while trying to initialize a discrete vector (which obviously worked previously, say the 0.7.1 release).
Here is the general flavor of what I am doing

<In the constructor of a NonlinearProblem class>

BilinearForm a;
LinearForm L(f, g, h);

Vector vec;
Function func;

func.init(mesh, vec, *L, 3);

Here is the error that I am getting, (including Debug output that I didn't purposely turn on).

Debug: Updating set of dof maps... [at DofMapSet.cpp:55 in update()]
Debug: Initializing dof map... [at DofMap.cpp:106 in init()]
Ordering mesh entities...
Debug: Dof map initialized [at DofMap.cpp:137 in init()]
Debug: Finished updating set of dof maps [at DofMapSet.cpp:96 in update()]
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): *** Assertion (i < dof_map_set.size()) [at DofMapSet.cpp:106 in operator[]()]

I realize there is lots going on towards parallelization and other things. Before I start digging (since it did work before), is init known to be broken? Is this a bug? Does it appear that I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jake

Follow ups