assembly on sub domains

I have a question about general usage of SubDomains. I have a problem where I would really like to partition a domain (via some criterion) into 2 sub domains, and then assemble the global system as two separate assemblies over the sub domains. The context here is for plasticity, initially I have a domain that is elastic but evolves such that there are two regions (elastic + plastic). I am currently not dealing with this in a very elegant manner, and I was hoping that if I could somehow generate an elastic sub domain and a plastic sub domain, I could more efficiently assemble. Does that sound possible currently, or could I add something like that in? Eventually I think we'd like to extend the concept to assembly over facets on the boundary of the elastic/plastic interface as well, but this might be a good first step.

Jake

Follow ups