Re: Evaluating the FEM solution at an arbitrary point

Shilpa Khatri wrote:
I would also like to know how this is done (We are using the c++ interface). Thanks, Shilpa On Feb 13, 2008 4:09 PM, Kristen Kaasbjerg <cosby@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cosby@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I have a rather simple question - having obtained a FEM
    solution "u" of a given PDE, how does one get the
    function value at an arbitrary point "x" (I'm using the
    python interface) ?

This functionality existed in DOLFIN a while ago, but it needs updating to new interfaces. Take a look at the old implementation:

http://www.fenics.org/hg/dolfin?f=50aee5576fed;file=src/kernel/function/DiscreteFunction.cpp

The point evaluation function is:

real DiscreteFunction::operator()(const Point& p, uint i)

The significant change that needs to be done is how to compute basis functions. This functionality now exists for general finite elements in the UFC interface (evaluate_basis()).