Re: Plans

Johan Hoffman wrote:
This is good juncture at which re-focus on important goals for a
hopefully not too distant next release. Three priorities that I see are:
- New build system.

- Improved support for parallel assembly and solve. The class Function
will probably need the most work. Good goals would be to get Poisson and
elasticity demos running in parallel.

I thought the Poisson problem was running, and showing good parallel
scaling? Or maybe that was a test outside the dolfin-dev demos?

Assembly of the matrix is working.

Garth

We (Nicklas) have now a preliminary distributed parallel implementation
running for Poisson and a Unicorn flow solver. The structure is still
quite messy and the partitioning is based on Metis, but we expect it to be
integrated with DOLFIN in the coming months, hopefully before the summer.
When the structure is more clear we can discuss on the mailing list how to
best incorporate this into DOLFIN. Apart from the structure of the
implementation we are also focusing on distributed local mesh refinement.

- Testing of QuadratureFunction and adding corresponding demos.

Another point is to add Trilinos as a supported linear algebra back end.
How does this tie up with closer links to PyCC?
Garth

- Something else that I think is important is to include geometry in
DOLFIN. We were to start such a project before Christmas, but we lost the
msc student that was supposed to work on this. I would expect that we
restart this later this spring. Basically we need to import CAD-geometry
(or other geometry descriptions), create an internal DOLFIN format
(typically based on NURBS or similar) with a Geometry-class. Typical
functionality needed is then to project a point onto the surface geometry.

/Johan