Re: Plans

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:31:54 +0100
Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > We (Nicklas) have now a preliminary distributed parallel
> > implementation running for Poisson and a Unicorn flow solver. The
> > structure is still quite messy and the partitioning is based on
> > Metis, but we expect it to be integrated with DOLFIN in the coming
> > months, hopefully before the summer.
>
> Could this be done in small pieces? I'm a little worried about seeing
> big changesets that add things to the mesh classes.
>
> > When the structure is more clear we can discuss on the mailing list
> > how to best incorporate this into DOLFIN. Apart from the structure
> > of the implementation we are also focusing on distributed local mesh
> > refinement.
>
> Great.
>
> What is the difference from what we have now? Is it the same but with
> a distributed mesh (so each processor just sees the local part, not
> the whole mesh)? Or is it something different?

Yes, each processor only sees the local part. The entire problem is
never represented on one processor. Preprocessing, assembly, solution
and postprocessing are all done without gathering/scattering data
to/from one processor.

The only modification to the mesh classes is a new class storing
information about ghost points and vertex local to global mapping.

Most of the messy parts are inside the function classes.

Niclas