Re: Plans

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:18:54AM +0100, Johan Hoffman wrote:
> >> hopefully not too distant next release. Three priorities that I see are:

> >> will probably need the most work. Good goals would be to get Poisson and
> >> elasticity demos running in parallel.
> >>
> >> I thought the Poisson problem was running, and showing good parallel
> >> scaling? Or maybe that was a test outside the dolfin-dev demos?
> >
> > The demo is in src/demo/fem/assembly/.
>
> Ok, so the matrix assembly is working and is implemented as a demo, but
> solve is missing.

Two things are missing: solve and handling forms with coefficients in
parallel (the Vector in DiscreteFunction holding the dofs should be
parallel).

Garth has done parallel solve (with PETSc) in src/sandbox/passembly/main.cpp
so it shouldn't be much work to get the solve part going.

> >> We (Nicklas) have now a preliminary distributed parallel implementation
> >> running for Poisson and a Unicorn flow solver. The structure is still
> >> quite messy and the partitioning is based on Metis, but we expect it to
> >> be
> >> integrated with DOLFIN in the coming months, hopefully before the
> >> summer.
> >
> > Could this be done in small pieces? I'm a little worried about seeing
> > big changesets that add things to the mesh classes.
>
> Yes, we need to figure out how this should be done to best fit with the
> existing mesh classes. When we have cleaned up the code we will take that
> discussion here at the dolfin mailing list so that we can agree on a
> solution.

Excellent.

> >> When the structure is more clear we can discuss on the mailing list how
> >> best incorporate this into DOLFIN. Apart from the structure of the
> >> implementation we are also focusing on distributed local mesh
> >> refinement.
> >
> > Great.
> >
> > What is the difference from what we have now? Is it the same but with
> > a distributed mesh (so each processor just sees the local part, not
> > the whole mesh)? Or is it something different?
>
> I think the main issues are to handle refinement over
> partition-boundaries, and efficient re-partitioning after refinement (for
> load-balancing).

ok, we haven't considered this at all.

> > I think what we have now can be fairly easily extended to a
> > distributed mesh without any (significant) changes to the mesh
> > classes. The key point is to build the DofMap in parallel. Take a look
> > here, in particular Section 6 and Algorithm 5:
> >
> >   http://simula.no/research/scientific/publications/Simula.SC.75
> >

> Seems I need a username/password for this.

Sorry, try here:

  http://home.simula.no/~logg/tmp/