Re: Best way of doing powers of Functions?

Garth N. Wells wrote:

Jed Brown wrote:
On 11 Mar 2008, meg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

After diving into some non-linear elasticity, I've suddenly the need to
do u^k, that is u to the power k, where u is some Function and k is an arbitrary natural number.

I actually need this when k is not an integer which means that it cannot
be done exactly, even with enough quadrature points.  For the case when
k is an integer greater than 2, it is likely not desirable to perform
the integration exactly because it entails too many quadrature points
(perhaps for k=2 as well) so my understanding is that you must make a
separate form to computes the nonlinear part.

The best way to do this will be to use quadrature. With the quadrature option you can specify the number of integration points you want to use. Also, you'll can generate a correct linearisation. Kristian is currently working on some optimisations of quadrature code, after which we will add some illustrative demos.

Ok. Excellent!

--
Marie E. Rognes
Ph.D Fellow, Centre of Mathematics for Applications, University of Oslo